Finding Bigfoot crew make big claims about recent Yowie search

Hunt for Aussie bigfoot is hit or myth.

A group of US researchers from Animal Planet say they have discovered something that will “blow your mind” while looking for the legendary yowie in Australia.

Renowned Bigfoot hunters Matt Moneymaker and James “Bobo” Fay have joined forces with Cliff Barackman and field biologist Ranae Holland to track down the yowie in New South Wales and Queensland.

He says there is no reason to dismiss the yowie as a myth or fantasy as there have been too many sightings and stories of its existence, which date back to before European settlement in Australia.

It’s even possible there is more than just one unknown primate living in outback Australia, he says.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

What say you Australia folks? Is it possible, in two weeks, to find evidence that will “blow my mind” that, not one, but POSSIBLY multiple unknown primates exist in Aussie “jungles”?

One thing I found amusing, other than these exaggerated claims, is that prior to the FB crew going to Australia, Matt Moneymaker was tweeting that he was looking for experts and places to stay. That struck me as a rather slapdash way of running an expedition. Color me VERY skeptical that a two week search can find the creature when there have been decades of trying. This is not science people, it’s a TV show. Not even a good one.

Note: I KNOW I gave up Bigfoot posting but I really wanted to include the Yowie in the news. 🙂

18 comments for “Finding Bigfoot crew make big claims about recent Yowie search

1. Tribeca Mike
    May 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Yowie? More like Maui Wowie.

2. Bob Jase
    May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

We’ll just have to wait for the episode to air.

No one with actual proof of such an animal would ever show it ahead of time. That would boost the show’s ratings through the roof & they could charge more for commercials. No tv network would want that to happen.

3. Sean Elliott
    May 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Howdy Folks-
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the claim was they had an episode that “may blow” people’s minds. Not only is the statement vague, it is provisional. It might blow your mind, it might not. Depending of course on an individual’s gullibility or propensity for credulity I would imagine.
    Sharon, I was a bit disappointed when you made the decision to stop giving Bigfoot developments coverage, but I was also relieved. I absolutely agree that the subject has become absurd to the point of comedy. I watched one episode of Finding Bigfoot, and lament the experience for several reasons, the most troubling being that it wouldn’t be a hit show without a willing audience. I am pleased that there is a skeptic involved with the production so we at least know that some of the money being generated is going to a voice of reason.

4. May 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I would not consider Ranae a “skeptic”. She’s a token. But she enjoys the benefits the show has given her. Note that she is not an active part of the skeptical community.

5. May 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

There is certainly a long history of Yowie fakery and storytelling in Australia:

Nothing has changed much in the 200+ years. The Yowie stories seems impressive until you take a closer critical look:

6. Massachusetts
    May 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Is there any time when a skeptic can join an expedition and it’s considered appropriate? I realize the Finding Bigfoot episodes aren’t really expeditions, but let’s consider research projects in general looking into Bigfoot. Is the skeptic automatically tainted by joining the team and offering criticism and alternative viewpoints or is this something that should happen more often?

I remember from previous posts that paranormal groups generally don’t like skeptics tagging along, but I understand that some have at least tried and this was considered a good thing by other skeptics. So, is the issue here Ranae’s credibility mainly, that she’s paid by the show and her role seems rather contrived?

7. Massachusetts
    May 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I think it’s irrelevant how crazy the Bigfoot news gets. If it’s extra crazy, we should show that and explain why we think so. This will go a long way to converting people to the critical thinking cause. You teach math to kids starting with things like 2+3, not the Lorentz Transformation. And we don’t have to report every Bigfoot story: we can be selective. Obviously the Oxford DNA project, which we did report, is reasonable news, and this Yowie story is also within the boundaries of sanity and good taste. Good job on reporting them both!

8. May 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM

You describe

“I do watch the show but I have three episodes on my DVR that I haven’t watched yet. I have a high tolerance for monster shows and used to enjoy Monster Quest, despite all the issues. But this show’s getting harder and harder to watch as they stick to the same tired formula and say the most annoying things, like the blurry image that looks like it could be anything must be a Sasquatch, and then they find out it’s only 5 feet tall so they decide it must be a juvenile Sasquatch, etc.

They really start to insult your intelligence, and you start to worry about there’s when things like that happen. The worst is when the reproduce a video exactly and then conclude that it’s still probably a Sasquatch, ignoring their own recreation which should prove it could easily be a hoax or at least a misidentification of the human variety.”

If someone who is a “skeptic” continues with a group that has this as their SOP, how credible would you find them? Someone actually interested in common sense would either push them to change their operating principles, or after seeing this isn’t going to happen. To otherwise stay on with such an operation, there would have to be another motivation.

9. Massachusetts
    May 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Yes, I believe money is a factor here, and the cast members they make a much better salary than a field biologist is apt to do in her own field. I suspect it’s easy to delude. And then there’s fame / exposure which can be addictive. I wouldn’t be surprised if she rationalized her role, feeling that she contributed a lot more in the skeptical vein than people observe. But at this point her commitment to skepticism is probably much weaker than her commitment to personal…enrichment.

Also, if she feels she’s playing a role rather than working as a field biologist than she probably doesn’t feel any compulsion to change the show.

10. Gareth
    May 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

If there’s one place on Earth that I think a giant ape is possible it’d have to be Australia, land of marsupials.

11. Gareth
    May 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Apparently they’ve audio recordings.

12. Massachusetts
    May 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Gareth, there was at least one post online where someone suggested the Yowie might be a marsupial. There may be more but that’s what I’ve seen.

13. Gareth
    May 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

You’re quite right I think someone did try to suggest it could possibly be an example of convergent evolution.

That’d be some coincidence though, parallel evolution not only of outward physical form but also managing to work the same magic at never being classified, leaving any evidence etc.

They’ve tried all sorts of spurious explanations over the years including trying to pass it off as a Homo erectus, while trying to use the Kow Swamp remains as support.

To me the yowie, if there is any Aboriginal tradition or not, like the similar tales from New Zealand, Hawaii and even Guadalcanal are a pretty fatal blow to the man beasts of the world being anything other than a universal myth.

Incidentally I really do like your idea of using bigfoot as a teaching aid.

14. marky
    May 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I agree with most comments about the pseudo-science these actors practice on Finding Bigfeet, but I wouldn’t take them too seriously because I doubt they take themselves seriously. The high ratings for this show probably reflect the skeptics who tune in for laughs just as well as the believers. I personally find it hilarious to watch grown adults running around the woods at night with NVGs and thermal cameras yelling at absolutely nothing just as much as the GhostHunter troup when they talk to thin air. I think their agenda has nothing to do with finding bigfeet, but much more with aquiring greenbacks.

15. Gareth
    May 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Nice bit of perspective there Marky.

16. marky
    May 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM

thank you, good sir. I think that this would be more suitable for the kiddy shows on Saturday mornings. “idoubtit”: please let me know if I have broken the rules. I enjoy this site and would not like to harm in any way. marky

17. marky
    May 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

other then spelling.

18. RayG
    June 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I watch the show- if only to be entertained when somebody hears a deer fart and proclaims it to be a “Squatch”. As for their ‘audio proof’ of a Yowie.. I’m willing to take a chance and say that it will sound a lot like the animal in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBQmDAlbUs

no, not the tourists, but the other animal..