Wisconsin mystery booms unsolved (Updated: still occurring)

For an updated story on this go here: Wisconsin Boom Towns

Something’s rattling small Wisconsin town – CNN.com.

Mysterious explosions. Unexplained shaking. Something’s going on in Clintonville, Wisconsin, but nobody seems to know what it is.

The sounds — variously described as rattling pipes, clanging metal, thunder or firecrackers — have continued on and off since early Sunday night in just one part of the small town of 4,600, located about 180 miles northeast of Madison.

Accompanying the sounds are vibrations that have shaken homes and household objects in the northeast corner of town, city manager Lisa Kuss said.

More at this link:

There are still really no answers in Clintonville about whom or what caused the loud booms people say they heard Sunday night and into the morning.

“It was kind of like constant boom, boom, boom!” said resident Joseph Clauson. “And you could feel like the ground shaking beneath you and whatnot.”

“It almost felt like a heavy duty thunderstorm, but it was shaking though,” said resident Al Miller.

Tip: Strange Sounds in the Sky blog

These booms are not unusual, as noted in this feature piece (Sounds from the sky: Reflections on historical observations and recent events), they have been reported historically in many locations. In this case, it is unlikely to be military exercises or mine explosives due to the time of night. But, that leaves many potential explanations included shallow seismic events and atmospheric phenomena. We will probably never know for sure. Yet, we record another Fortean event… as yet unexplained. I do not believe it is connected to the hoax noises that we had occur in the beginning of the year.

UPDATE (20-Mar-2012) Noise occurs a second night. How interesting.

Police say they received nearly 100 phone calls throughout the night about the loud booms. Dispatcher Karen Wegenke says most residents called about 12:15 a.m., 1:20 a.m., 2:20 a.m. and a few calls about 5:10 a.m. Tuesday.

Authorities in Clintonville are at a loss to explain the noise, which some have described as a jackhammer sound. Dozens of calls also came in to dispatchers early Monday.

More here.

One odd observation is the incredible temperature change that occurred over a week with very unseasonably warm temps observed (from 32F on March 9 to 80F reported on the 17th). That is 40 degrees above normal. Incredible.

Also, this: A seismic station near Clintonville has recorded unusual ground shaking since Sunday night.

UPDATE: (21-Mar-2012) Smaller, fewer booms Tuesday night:

Police dispatcher Tabitha Schoen says it was a quiet night in Clintonville until shortly after 5 a.m. when about 20 calls came in from residents who experienced the booms.

A police officer also radioed in unusually “booming noise” about 3 a.m. Wednesday, Schoen said.

Not only did they spend Tuesday checking off an extensive list of potential causes for a mystery late-night booming noise, but they did so on little sleep since the noise persisted a second night.

Lots of interesting explanations proposed. None have been confirmed.

20 comments for “Wisconsin mystery booms unsolved (Updated: still occurring)

1. LREKing
    March 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Simplest explanation — it’s the heads of Republicans exploding as the recall election gets closer.

• LREKing
      March 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Or Canadian illegals tunneling their way into the U.S.?

2. carl krebs
    March 21, 2012 at 5:06 AM

it seems awful strange we are seeing top secret america alled tunnels, and undoctored pictures of a machine called subeterrenne , operated by the air force . it is a nuclear powered drilling tunneling device . the big question is , for what purpose do they have to drill all these so called tunnels . people are hearing these rumblings and booming all over the central u.s. including kokomo , indiana .there have been unfounded rumors of the elite building underground bases to survive whatever is coming . and in the meantime we have nato troops training for classified civil disorder and martial law training in remotely in areas of the u.s. . recentlyin arkansas drills going house to house testing collecting firearms . the question is…..what is our govt reakky up to they afe not telling us . surely not everyone can be this stupid ? too much evidence out there….they cannot allbe hoaxs .

3. carl krebs
    March 21, 2012 at 5:14 AM

if this so called bildenburger commission and the rothschilds think they can hide underground and wait for us all to die when they pull whatever shenenanigans they think they are going to pull . not harly…many will find them and fight back….one way or another . it doesn`t mater , rich or poor , political or not , religious or not….it is simple our country was begun on several premises…religious freedom , no taves to a king , and the right to defend ourselves . persoanally….i am not gettin on any fema bus gpoin to no camp . i`d rather die fighting for what my ancestors died for……our countryand our people . the wealthy do not have the right to make slaves of us and we still have a voice…if it has tobe through force…so be it !

• March 21, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I’m sorry, Carl. Your worldview is so very different than those of us here at the Doubtful News site, I don’t think this is a good fit for you. I’m glad you visited and checked out our information but we do not share the same foundations in reality.

I really do not think anything I would say would make a difference in your viewpoints or affect your argument. So, there really is no point of engaging.

See rules for commenting under the “About” button.

• LREKing
        March 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I stand (sit, actually) in awe at the civility of your reply.

• March 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I’m practicing. Is really hard sometimes. But often there is no reason to be mean.

4. ma weaver
    March 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Mt. Juliet, TN. For a few months (3-4)I have noticed a really low buzz/hum that sounds electric in nature between 1-3am. I have also noticed a trimmer/vibration that shakes the house and wakes the dogs. It is very mild and it feels like it causes a feeling like your equilibrium is off just a bit, almost gravitational in nature. I dont understand what is going on at all but its way unsettling. Any ideas or any simular experiences?

• Tommy
      March 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Can you say Mayan calendar? The planets are aligning. The crust of the earth will be challenged – these are not my words – they are the science behind the “end of times” calendar. If this is true, things will continue to get weirder by the day until December 2012 and then they will start to settle down. End of days? I say NO. But a new beginning. It only happens every 15,000 years. Should prove to be real interesting.

• March 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Pile of rubbish.

But I doubt I would be able to convince you. You seem quite committed to your idea. For those who wish to see the scientific consensus, not the pseudoscience nonsense, try here:

• LREKing
        March 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I can still recall the dawning of the age of Aquarius. Same old same old. Some people just LOVE the idea of a Reset button.

• March 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Can’t really say what you might be experiencing but industrial and everyday noises are around us all the time. Our world is an EXTREMELY noisey place. It appears that strange sounds are noted more in the quiet of the night where there is far less traffic and activity. It could be that you are hearing something that you would not notice during the day. Or, an appliance is powering up like a hot water heater or refrigerator. You would not notice the hum drowned out by regular environmental noise. The fact that it disturbs you may be making you nervous and thus the feeling of dizziness. People are VERY suggestible when it comes to these things – I always feel naseated if someone else around me is, or I get a headache if someone else mentions that a smell or noise is bothering them. That’s normal reaction. I’m only guessing but if you feel so inclined, check all around the house and try to pinpoint the sound. It could even be your own nerve endings in the ears still active after a long day of reacting to noise. Quiet just sounds weird.

• LREKing
      March 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

The first thing I would ask you to do is record these effects and post them somewhere (YouTube?) so that we can get a better idea about what you’re experiencing.

5. ma weaver
    March 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I sorta think it may have to do with the magnetic shifts, what do you think?

• March 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

No. Not at all. The earth’s magnetic fields are constantly shifting. They aren’t going anywhere special now. It’s also not related to noise. Each noise event may have a very different explanation. It’s a mistake to group them all together. Don’t let people who know nothing about earth science tell you stuff like this.

• Massachusetts
        March 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Would magnetism be strong enough to move / vibrate magnetic material in the crust, causing noise? I’m thinking probably not, but it popped in my head and I had to ask. Also, as per my post, it appears that earthquakes are to blame.

• Massachusetts
          March 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Sorry, I guess you already answered that one didn’t you? :) oops!

6. Massachusetts
    March 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m sorry if I missed this somewhere on the site but they just announced on NPR that the sounds are from small earthquakes in the area. Some express skepticism that tiny earthquakes (1.5 or so) could produce the sounds, but the town manager (presumably briefed by a geologiset or seismologist) says the bedrock in the area transmits sound waves particularly well. Interesting–I’m surprised an earthquake would make this type of sound, but it certainly seems plausible.

Some very interesting posts on this page representing very different world views. Both fascinating and a bit frustrating I suppose.

• LREKing
      March 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I think they have a found a correspondence between a single earthquake and a single incidence of the sounds. It’s a start but, as we all know, correlation is not causation.

• March 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

It’s a decent explanation. They caught the seismograph AFTER the report and after they had set up an array of portable ones. So, it is logical that this correlation does strongly suggest causation. I say that because it has been associated with booms in other places (Moodus noises of CT and Dillsburg, PA).

I’d qualify that though by saying there is no good explanation for WHY the swarm of small quakes and WHY they are causing a noise in this occasion.