Keep squatching. More ‘Finding Bigfoot’ on the way

ANIMAL PLANET FINDS MAMMOTH-SIZED RATINGS FOR “FINDING BIGFOOT” : Discovery Press Web.

Animal Planet’s FINDING BIGFOOT concluded a strong nine-episode run this past Sunday with the second season averaging more than 1.3M P2+ viewers, up 15% vs. season one (1.38M vs. 1.2M). It now ranks among Animal Planet’s top-three performing series of all time among P2+. Animal Planet ordered additional episodes, which are slated to air later this year, including two to be shot internationally.

Tip: MattMoneymaker1 on Twitter

Matt Moneymaker of the BFRO, and part of the show, tweets:

What does he mean by this? That it’s NOT good (it isn’t) and that they haven’t found anything (they haven’t)? It sure seems like he is berating his own show as “Scooby-Doo-ish. (So, it’s all hoaxed to keep us away while the crooks hide their treasure?) At least they did find stuff in Scooby Doo and it was very entertaining. (I might be a Finding Bigfoot hater…)

Once again, I can’t be sure how many of these 1 million plus viewers watch this as “reality” or as ridiculous entertainment. It seems that the majority of people who give it a try either love it or hate it. Me? No bones about it, I do dislike the show from the flawed premise (Bigfoot is out there to find as opposed to figuring out what people are experiencing) to the terrible portrayal of “scientifical” methods. This is not science and is not reality in any way. But, it brings the eyeballs in same as other nonsense shows portraying “investigation” like Ghost Hunters and Monster Quest (now cancelled).

Bigfoot is a hot trend these days. Yet, we followers of the Bigfoot phenomenon STILL wait, 50 years after its entry into pop culture, for any improved evidence to show up. I’m getting rather impatient, actually.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

14 comments for “Keep squatching. More ‘Finding Bigfoot’ on the way

1. March 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Although unofficial (and unscientific) you can go to http://getglue.com/tv_shows/finding_bigfoot or https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23FindingBigfoot and get a pulse as to why the audience is watching. Most comments(more than half) regard the show as laughable–entertaining, but laughable.

I wouldn’t expect any TV show to exceed a level higher than entertainment. Unless it was on public television. I do hope this greater exposure will bring sharper minds and greater resources to the Bigfoot phenomena/debate.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Good to know these views, Guy. That’s heartening. However, I’d say that recruiting to the field via TV show is a horrible prospect. Just look at the THOUSANDS of groups that formed to go ghost hunting after Most Haunted (in the UK) and Ghost Hunters (U.S.). It’s a disaster!

My current conclusion is that amateur investigators on the whole are mucking things up, doing more harm than good – making people believe there is more out there than they can justify. I do not believe it is ethical to tell people that Bigfoot is prowling around your backyard any more than it is to say demons have infested your home. This is not a credible conclusion to make. It disgusts me.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Anybody who has read your paper, “BEING SCIENTIFICAL” would agree with you. The “sharper minds and greater resources” is not a reference to more amateur research and investigation groups (ARIGs). I am hoping for more leadership from the traditional scientific research community.

You don’t have to convince me this is an unlikely outcome. The examples you give above and your paper illustrate the point quite concisely. I admit I’m using lottery-logic, hoping the more “tickets” bought, the better the odds of getting a winning outcome. Which is a little dis-heartening since I don’t buy the lottery. :P

• March 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Oh, I see. Play the odds. :)

2. March 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The history of television programming has shown that people will continue to watch shows regardless if the central premise is resolved. It doesn’t matter if Gilligan never gets off the island or that the Roadrunner never devours Wile E. Coyote.

I’ve read comments on Twitter myself about Finding Bigfoot. It seems that viewers like to mock the show and the “other people” who watch it.

3. Massachusetts
    March 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The gripe factor is part of the appeal. I think a lot of people watch the show to get angry at Matt Moneymaker and make fun of him. Lots of comments on cryptomundo over the last two seasons seem to suggest that. I think people are more tolerant of the other members of the cast–Moneymaker just rubs a lot of people the wrong way, it seems.

People are also angry with what appears to be (according to the cast members at least) producers intervening, adding sound effects that aren’t really there in the recordings, and doing other annoying and false things to boost the shows appeal. But people love to complain about this aspect of the show.

And some people find it amusing that many cast members see Sasquatches everywhere. Almost any sound or blurry image is attributed to the elusive creature. If they find deer bones, then that deer was obviously killed by a Sasquatch. Even if you find this kind of reasoning annoying, it’s fun to go on a forum and complain about it. So the show has followers, even if they aren’t believers.

MonsterQuest may have been nonsense, but it was a more interesting and better produced show. Maybe it was just the narrator’s voice, which sounded very credible, even if the information presented wasn’t so credible. That may be insidious, but it was for many an enjoyable viewing experience.

4. March 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’ve never seen the show, so I can’t really say anything about it. But from all accounts, it appears that clowns no longer have to wear makeup to be silly.

5. Massachusetts
    March 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Karl, regarding clowns, one of the characters is named “Bo Bo.” You may infer from that what ever you may. :)

6. Massachusetts
    March 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Interesting, I wrote “characters” rather than “field researchers.” A Freudian slip?

7. Todd H Harris
    March 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I find the show to be hilarious. Matt is annoying but that’s why people watch. How can he be so stupid? The show makes for great drinking games. BoBo smoked weed so long in Humbolt county, he probably has scene a few squatches. I also have a soft spot, because I experienced an encounter with something that I could not explain easily. Squatch? I doubt it, but I can’t tell you what it was. That makes it fun as well. These people are nuts and apparently, I am to.

8. FBWatcher
    March 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Well, I watch for all of the above reasons. Yes, it’s junk science, but Rene and sometimes Cliff at least keep it somewhat honest.

But you know what? Science sometimes just happens by dumb luck. And for everyone blaming them for being less than stellar scientists, at least they are out there looking, and we aren’t (my apologies to anyone who may actually be looking). That says something, and they may actually get lucky and stumble on the answer… though probably not by lighting fireworks or putting out bacon.

So I’ll keep watching to see what they come up with. I believe there is a phenomenon here that should be investigated, and many of the so-called real scientists have turned a blind eye towards just about anything that doesn’t fit an already preconceived notion. Like many of these “reality lite” shows of the paranormal, I wish they would get serious and stay at each location a few weeks or months and really investigate, but that might not be as interesting to watch, and might not give them a show and funding to keep looking. What is good is that they hook up with the local people who can continue to investigate more seriously and aid in their investigations.

• Gary B
      March 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM

With all due respect, I don’t think they are looking for anything other than viewers. These are actors in a reality tv show and the producers know exactly what they are doing. We have existed here as first colonies, and now as a country for more than 400 years without ever finding any biological evidence for bigfoot. Bigfoot is sighted everywhere, crossing fields, roads, even four lane highways and yet always manages to leave no trace of itself. If you are aware of some evidence that I have missed I would love to be made aware of it but, to date, I am reasonbly sure that it does not yet exist. It would be great if bigfoot were to exist but I think we will all go to our graves never seeing any reliable, testable proof.

• Scott Godlewski
      March 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM

It does say something that they’re out there actually looking for Bigfoot. And that something isn’t nice. It’s not out there, friend.

9. Greg Aten
    March 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

This show was nothing more than a travel log. Go to different locations,talk to the locals,walk around the woods. That is all that it was. You can’t spend a day or even a week in any location,and think that you might really find something. It takes months of hard work in the field to get results. When the show comes back,rename it Not Finding Bigfoot. This show is a waste of time.