Ghost Hunters show loses co-star Grant Wilson

Grant Leaving Ghost Hunters

Last night on Ghost Hunters, founding member of TAPS, Grant Wilson, announced he is leaving the show due to unstated “personal” reasons.

“Eight years has put stress on us..in various ways..and..over the course of awhile…Jay and I have been talking..And….its been a very difficult decision to make..but..I’m going to be leaving Ghost Hunters.

So..Its just time for me to back off..step aside..and..no one has done anything wrong to push me there by any means….its tough..a tough decision to make..

But its not the end..its not goodbye..I still have a few more cases that I will be working with you…and I appreciate the support.”

Source: Ghost TV Blog

Sad Grant

This show is a disaster but it made paranormal stars out of Grant and Jason who successfully tour to sold out crowds around the country.

In watching the Twitter feed last night during the announcement, I came across comments from fans of the show who were devastated. This show has had an impact on the way people view ghosts. I don’t have hard data but I suspect it has influenced the degree of belief in ghosts and promoted a misunderstanding of how science is done. I have data that shows that ghost hunting groups, following the TAPS lead, have exploded in numbers and participants. That’s bad because they are sorely mislead by this manufactured TV show and their antics. I would not be disappointed to see this show end but I wonder if there is a lesson here about fame and life. Is it worth doing this when you are not true to yourself and others? Maybe Grant will write a tell-all one day. But, I’d be skeptical about the reveal.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

28 comments for “Ghost Hunters show loses co-star Grant Wilson

1. February 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Eight years. That’s pretty damned good for any show. Mind, glad the closest I’ve come to watching it are parodies of them.

• idoubtit
      February 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

And they were still getting good ratings. It’s popular.

2. Bruce Duensing
    February 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

The pulling aside of Jason, and the ensuing conversations between the two were obviously staged for the cameras as a set up for the “surprise departure”. I would love to be paid for participating in this lackluster Hollywood satire, by simply walking around empty buildings in the dark with a B movie soundtrack and a full camera crew accompanying every creak and squeak. They have been going through the motions for a record breaking run and made some serious cash. My favorite part of this satire is when they are en route and they get briefed by walkie talkies as sort of a afterthought, sort of like a crew of a bread delivery truck. I think it’s run it’s course as a episodic comedy series.

• February 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM

“Like the crew of a bread delivery truck.” Ha ha ha!

• Sue
      March 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You are so right on.

3. February 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I agree with your assessment.

Grant’s resignation speech made about as much sense as his scientific conclusions. Why exactly is he resigning? Is their a rift between he and the bald guy? Marital problems? Medical problems? Did ghosts follow him home, as is claimed by the douche triplets on Ghost Adventures?

Speaking of which, Ghost Adventures makes Ghost Hunters look like 60 Minutes.

They’re both ridiculous, but Ghost Hunters doesn’t seem to fabricate “evidence” like their more lurid counterpart.

Don’t get me wrong, Ghost Hunters is insufferably boring, but they never crumble under Network pressure to spice things up with spectral scratches or EVPs mentioning the cast by name. Even in their misguided world there’s something to be said for being honest.

Ghost Hunters is the best show of its kind. But that’s like like complimenting the leper with the most fingers.

Sounds like I’m defending the series… and I guess I am, in some strange way. Maybe its because there’s less grandstanding than G.A., or maybe its because they’re just a bunch of lovable dopes.

I will not, however, defend Ghost Hunter’s use of an article in their acronym: T.A.P.S. for “THE Atlantic Paranormal Society?” Now that’s just wrong.

I’ve written such a long comment here I think I’m going to go post it on my own blog.

Love your site.

Regards,

RVB

• anne asher
      March 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

considering the picture you are suing I would say you are the last person who can comment. Accept your place in your mother’s basement and realize that spouting crap on a web site does not make you smart or informed. Delusions of grandeur are of course in your own mind so crawl back into that teeny brain of yours and keep opinions based on your own lack of doing anything worthwhile in your life secure.

4. Massachusetts
    February 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Its a strange departure. They are making piles of money, I’m sure, and I imagine that’s hard to pass up. They also appear to be true believers and are really into what they do, and they have a seemingly perfect forum to do it in, so that makes it doubly strange. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if marital/family issues were a big factor, since they are clearly on the road a lot and have mentioned that kind of stress in other episodes.

Part of the appeal of the show was the dynamic between the two top guys, I think. It will be interesting to see how the show fairs. But frankly, America is ghost crazy, and these paranormal shows are so popular that I think they will weather the storm. That may not be a good thing for the skeptical community, of course.

5. Mazarin
    February 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

This show is one of my guilty pleasures, although I have to admit I enjoy Ghost Adventures even more–so crazy! Grant was the least credulous and most grounded of any of them, and it’s not good that he’s leaving. In the beginning, he dismissed most supposed hauntings as tricks of the imagination or bad plumbing. That got lost over the years, no surprise, but I think we can at least thank him for always (well, 95% of the time) telling people they had nothing to fear. As to why? They’ve always reminded me of Fred and Barney, with the same dynamic: the big guy takes most of the credit and most of the authority. They used to frequently reference angry spouses, until the money started rolling in. Hopefully, he’s just tired of it.

6. Mazarin
    February 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM

As for being “true believers,” the personalities on these shows always are–except on “Fact or Faked,” which hires actors and models to play fake experts. Wasn’t there a post here recently about how strongly UFO witnesses believe in what they think they’ve seen? I enjoy a good scare, and watching the insanity of people running around in the dark, but I can’t claim to have ever seen or experience anything I couldn’t explain. I wonder what would happen to the average skeptic placed into such a situation? The only example I have is poor Aaron on G.A., obviously a poor one. He didn’t believe in ghosts until he was repeatedly locked alone in “haunted” dark basements by Bilbo Bagans.

7. Marie Bolt
    February 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

well it is bitter sweet that Grant Is leaving…I use to really love the show But its been getting strange new look to it that is very confusing to me ..They go to a house been there more than one time and this home still having spirit troubles,,yet they shuffle it off like nothing will do harm its gonna be ok you just need to stand up take a hold of your home and they leave the people and say if you need us we are not far away just give us a call! ok not so good The spirit world can be a very bad and good thing but they never handle any thing they find I heard them say They do not want any mediums on there show ,Ok Why is That?? putting down mediums, not a great thing when here they are checking out ghosts and spirit,They act more like they do not believe in the paranormal… Or they will say check our EF meter that could be it..How Can you hide a dark shadow passing by or Spirits talking how can you say Its Ok ,you just need to take control of your home!! LOL its not done that way,I have also read that They them self have had things follow them home ,so now how do you handle that???Jason acts like a person who has gotten to big for his pants ..I watch other shows I like better where they do talk to the spirits and they have others to help the people get rid of the unwanted troubles.. Its sad To see Taps Be this way But lets be real here get it together We live with spirits every day some of kind and some are not..
    with Blessings Marie XO

8. g schulze
    February 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

everyone can complain about ghost hunters all they want. but you gotta admit it is still better watching than all that ridiculous reality crap that is on the air. No wonder why the world is so f’d up. Kids today are growing up thinking that life is nothing but cell phones and staged reality life experiences.

9. zac
    February 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

this comment is addressed to the person that wrote this blog. this show is not antics, nor is it faked. i myself have tested them and tried many ways to prove they are fake. in fact during the process i have experienced some things that they have also. it is unfortunate that you think this way but not all people can be mature enough to believe what there own eyes can’t always see. there are many other ghost shows on the air that are and can be proven fake however as i stated before this is not one of them. everyone is titled to there opinion and in science there is always a hypothesis can you not hypothesis about ghosts then also? i believe you
    can! and i hypothesis that some day you will be proven wrong
    and the paranormal will be blown wide open. I can not wait for that day.

• idoubtit
      February 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It’s a TV show. A. TV. Show. Not reality.

• Zac
        February 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Tv show can be reality.

• Scott Godlewski
          February 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Not in this case, Zac. I’m not accusing the show of being faked at times (though others certainly have and make a compelling case), but it’s certainly not reality. In 8 years, this show that paranormal proponents are so quick to put on a pedestal as yielded exactly zero pieces of compelling evidence that would make any competent researcher stop and take notice. And when you think about any of the other dozens of similar shows scattered about cable TV that have also yielded the same results, the notion of there being any factual basis for any paranormal claim goes right out the window. In fact, there’s been no smoking gun in the whole existence of paranormal research (actual scientific research, not the BS that plumbers and theatre majors think they’re doing on these shows). You can talk up the watchability and entertainment value of this crap, but the truth is that it’s all fiction and is arguably stunting the critical thinking skills of an entire generation of Americans.

• idoubtit
          February 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I would argue there is ALWAYS scripts or editing on TV so, no, it never can fully reflect reality.

10. Scott Godlewski
    February 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Is it too much to think that he just came to his senses?

11. idoubtit
    February 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Who Forted? has this piece on Grant’s alleged faking.

12. Massachusetts
    February 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Zac, it would be great if the paranormal was “blown wide open” and proven to be true. I don’t speak for everyone but, in my opinion, the majority of people on this site simply feel that evidence has not been provided at this point in time to warrant certifying paranormal claims as proven. Some keep an open mind and others believe that such evidence will never materialize, but most agree that as it stands now, we don’t have good evidence for the paranormal, as presented on shows like Ghost Hunters. The stuff we see on TV is not rigorously documented or tested in any way. There are many alternative explanations for what happens and we just can’t rule them out. I have personally had “paranormal experiences” when I was a child, but I can’t rule out other, more mundane explanations, like childhood imagination. We need much more than basically glorified ghost stories, however intriguing and mysterious they may be, in order to accept that the paranormal exists. If you have such evidence, I’m the first in line to view it and change my mind, but it will have to be very good indeed. Thanks.

13. Zac
    February 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Even if there was scripts and things like that I do believe that the sole purpose of ghost hunters was to make people aware of what can be and maybe not what is solely happening on the show. I don’t believe that the show was created based on proving what happens or not. But it is said that the reason taps was formed was because of grant and Jason’s own experiences. How do you explain some of the things that are shown on that show? I watched the attempted debunk of grants jacket pull it really doesn’t make much sense at all. I don’t believe that they would go through that much trouble to Do that. But that is of track as said in grants goodbye speech ghost hunters syfy show was created to make people aware wether it be skeptics or not. People know and they aren’t as uncomfortable talking about it anymore. And that is the sole purpose. Now I understand you may not have full evidence to believe what ghost hunters says but does that mean your calling all the people they went to help crazy? Like what about all the city halls of towns they went to. They even went to the military bases a couple of times? Is the military crazy? How do you explain prove for what they are truly going through and the reason they called taps in? I am curious?
    I do have one other question?
    Do you all believe that this paranormal field has expanded at all ? Or not?

• Scott Godlewski
      February 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I’m not calling anyone crazy. But in the whole history of paranormal investigation, no one has been able to prove the existence of a disembodied entity. What that implies is that there’s typically a very natural explanation. Though anyone coming to the conclusion that a cold breeze or eerie feeling means a ghost is usually a believer anyway and not interested in applying any critical thinking. They’re the ones calling TAPS. And businesses hoping to generate a little publicity. Just think about the claims these people are investigating: noises, cold spots, things falling off tables and other trivial things. Is that really the kind of stuff you’d be doing if you were a ghost?

14. Marie Bolt
    February 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I know That spirits are with us and I know They can hurt you and I hate the fact at times on the show it gets blown off..when I just sat there and saw what I did!! Dark shadows things pulling on your jack it hearing music or foot steps and things moving doors and chairs ..It just gets me down when I see Taps Say Oh Its nothing guys lets call it a night..Yet they have EVP’s saying something pictures saying something.Than They tell the people in the house ,OH you have nothing to worry about,Oh My Gosh yes they do..I have never seen them get rid of any spirit WHY?? or Get someone else to help get rid of the nasty spirits that are really hurting the house and the kids..???I am not calling it Fake ,its a fact we live with them every day,we need more people to help cross them over …Do not turn your head and walk away.Thats What Taps Does They walk away and say ,If You need us were just a phone call away!!
    UM…I do not get it ??? Marie xo

• Scott Godlewski
      February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Wow. This is all over the place. Them saying that there’s nothing going on is really the best thing they can say since it’s a bit unethical and potentially dangerous to feed people’s delusions. Which is exactly what Ghost Hunters does. If they were skeptical or employed any kind of impartial scientific method, they wouldn’t be using “ghost” or “paranormal” in their titles, they’d simply be seeking answers to questions. Ghost hunters are there to “investigate” the presence of ghosts. Which in itself is a form of confirmation. If someone calls a ghost hunter then all they’re looking for is a confirmation of their belief that they’re being plaqued by ghosts. They’re not interested in looking for the simplest, natural explanation. I imagine you’d be calling a ghost hunter and not an electrician if your lights were turning on and off.

15. Marie Bolt
    February 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I do not Think so at all..LOL There is more to story why he is leaving and lot more into whats really going on behind the TAPS period!!
    And I bet If you had things going wrong in your house you would call your nearest plumper!!

• Scott Godlewski
      February 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

If I had a plumbing issues I would call a plumber. I’m not sure I’d be interested in whatever it was a “plumper” could do for me. I’m sure there is more to Grant’s departure than he’s letting on. Fact remains that it’s a TV show and these guys aren’t interested in finding out what’s really happening. And neither are the people who call them. They’re just looking for stuff that supports their ghost hypothesis, however flimsy and vague.

16. zac
    February 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

again Scott i disagree with you because the people that call TAPS know what they are out to search for as not only do TAPS say it on every investigation show which is probably where the people calling them got TAPS’s information. but TAPS tells the person face to face when they are done with the tour. TAPS is in fact out to find the REAL truth whether paranormal or not. just because its a T.V show doesn’t not mean it isn’t real? that’s like saying the news isn’t real because its on T.V

17. Ghostbusterbuster
    March 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Given the general scarcity of any kind of interesting event on Ghost Hunters, I have always been very suspicious of the more spectacular occurrences. It seems that early on, Grant was suspected of fabricating evidence by kicking a table or pulling a lamp cord or some such chicanery. If he persisted in (allegedly) creating these situations, that could have figured strongly in his departure. The show does aspire to some form of credibility, no matter how low the bar may be given the audience.
    As for the much more entertaining Ghost Adventure guys, I think that Zach is really a skeptic. When you watch it, imagine that he is doing satire and the show make a lot more sense.