General Motors’ Superbowl ad claims their cars will survive the 2012 apocalypse

GM: Super Bowl 2012 ad just a joke; Ford not laughing

General Motors said Sunday it stands by its Super Bowl ad that plays on the Mayan calendar’s predicted 2012 end of the world in which survival depends on driving a Chevrolet Silverado.

GM, in a statement, pointed out the ad is an over-the-top spoof with “the devastation and destruction predicted to occur this year by the Mayan calendar (including) giant attack robots, meteors and frogs falling from the sky.”

“We stand by our claims in the commercial, that the Silverado is the most dependable, longest-lasting full-size pickup on the road. The ad is a fun way of putting this claim in the context of the apocalypse,” said GM Global Chief Marketing Officer Joel Ewanick.

Source: Detroit Free Press.

I really don’t care if Ford is mad that their guy in the F-150 is assumed to not have made it through the disaster. My moment of pause stems from GM connecting “fun”, “apocalypse”, “Mayan calendar”, “2012” and “predicted to occur this year” all together. Something is wrong there. But, GM, who predicted “giant attack robots, meteors and frogs falling from the sky”. Complete nonsense. I could never work in advertising…I just don’t think like that.

Here is the ad in question, which was played during the Superbowl:

UPDATE (9-Mar-2012): I wrote a new piece for Sounds Sciencey regarding science-based agents of Doomsday. HAARP is a common theme. Everyone is freaking out over dead birds. Come take a look: Apocalyptic January and the Portents of Doom

10 comments for “General Motors’ Superbowl ad claims their cars will survive the 2012 apocalypse

1. J.R.
    February 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I’m a pretty big ol’ skeptic, but I think maybe, in this case, we need to just lighten up. The bigger travesty to me is that they brought Barry Manilow back.

2. idoubtit
    February 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I suppose I’m so jaded with the whole 2012 hype that my irritation is showing.
    :-P

It’s gonna be a long year.

3. J. R.
    February 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I can totally understand!

4. BJ Nicholls
    March 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Amazing. A skeptic without a functional sense of humor or satire. It’s gonna be a long, angst-ridden life if you can’t even enjoy a joke at the expense of those who buy into the bullshit.

Bet the Twinkies outlast the pickup trucks!

• March 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Speak for yourself. Go to reddit and throw your insults where they are appreciated.

5. ileen
    March 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I’m afraid I have to agree with BJ Nicholls…it’s, you know, a joke. Which is actually making fun of people who believe things like the 2012 apocalypse. It wouldn’t surprise me if the folks that produced such a commercial were pretty skeptical, themselves.

• March 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

The point I was trying to make is that we are deluged with these ideas about how to view the world that have NO basis in reality. I know it’s difficult to believe but many people don’t do a good job telling TV from reality. They think ghosts can be found in spooky places with little electronic gizmos, they believe a Bigfoot is out in their backyard, they think that real people actually live like the reality shows they see on tv, they believe that certain meds will take away all their problems and make their lives ideal.

IF this were just a sci-fi spoof or cartoon, that wouldn’t be annoying. The problem is, coupled with what you see on other so-called fact based TV shows or in books or hyped in newspapers and magazines, the media reinforces the idea that nonsense like the end of the world is real. I can’t say which thing is going to resonate with the public and we’ll have to wait until the end of the year to find out just how much they panic but it is important to pay attention to the messages the media (ESPECIALLY ADVERTISERS) try to sell us. If you think it’s OK to brush off everything without some critical thinking, then you are going to be sold a whole lot of shit.

Just sayin’….

6. Yax Pacal
    March 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Be warned, O mortals, on Katun 13:0:0:0:0, Lord Sky Frog shall vomit forth Silverados like feathered serpents to the North,to the East, to the South, to the West, and thus death shall come on swift wings to ye all.

7. Greg Aten
    March 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Their cars did survive the end of the world. Since by the Mayan calender Dec.21 2012 happened a year and a half ago. They did not have a leap year in their calenders,but we have. Thus 12/31/2012 has already come and gone.Wasn’t the end fun.