Sounds from the sky: Reflections on historical observations and recent events

The recent wave of sky noise videos and reports from across the globe have sown concern and copycat hoaxes. Historical observations disclosed here reveal that mystery noises in the sky are not new and have many and various potential explanations. Our urban and industrial society may be contributing to the recent events, if they are indeed genuine.

by Sharon Hill

Our post on the Costa Rica (and subsequent) mystery sky noises has generated lots of hits to the site.

The story evolved from a video taken last August in Kiev, Ukraine. Mechanical-type noises were heard in an urban area. The video is distinct in that the noise is clearly heard in addition to the normal neighborhood noises in the background. Faking does not seem likely.

The noise, which is really unusual, has not been adequately pinned down and has struck a chord on the Internet. Copycat videos (some exactly the same), followed on You Tube and speculation abounded regarding their source. Typically, the causes leaned towards the apocalyptic. It IS 2012 after all. Perhaps the heavens are signaling End Times. Fantastic suggestions include the shifting magnetic poles, HAARP, the trumpets of angels, you get the idea. Also surfacing is the idea that they all occurred around the world at the same time – not a valid assumption just because they all showed up on YouTube at the same time.

Other more reasonable but questionable suggestions have been secret underground construction and good old viral marketing – a nifty suggestion considering that this does happen quite a bit. Many have likened the sounds to mechanistic alien attacks and at least one person did do a deliberate hoax to show how easy it can be using the War of the World’s death ray sound (this has since been removed).

As the keeper of the blog “Strange sounds from the sky” noted, he is seeing new uploads every day(1). This phenomenon is NOT happening every day. Instead, we can rightly conclude that this is a social mass frenzy for attention on a hot topic.

Despise the obvious hoaxes, people don’t seem to be critical. Public and conspiratorial-minded interest is growing. So, I decided to consult some definitive sources on the subject of anomalous sky noises and see if these sorts of phenomena or anything resembling them had previously been observed.

This is a Fortean topic: where reports are few, treated as anomalies, and can not always be well explained by established knowledge in science at the moment. Surprisingly, unusual and unexpected sky noises/unidentified sounds in nature are referenced in the scientific literature. I’ve been interested in anomalous natural phenomena for a very long time and have a collection of resources at hand. I reached for my compendium on the subject – William R. Corliss’ Earthquakes, Tides, Unidentified Sounds and Other Related Phenomena, a Sourcebook Project catalog (1983).

In this treasure of referenced reports, I may have found a lead that clues us in on the recent sky noise phenomena. But first, a bit about well-known sky noises.

Mystery Booms

The phenomena best known, but still rather uncertainly explained, is that of mystery booms. Corliss notes that there are SO many reports of unexplained sounds of this nature that their reality is not doubted. A review of a particular type of account of the phenomena, called brontides, has been published in the journal Science. (Gold and Soter. 1979. Brontides: Natural Explosive Noises. Science 204:4391. pp. 371-375.)

Brontides are observed with some regularity at certain places on earth. Frequently, they can be linked to seismic events that are too small to feel, perhaps even too small to be noticed or measured (in consideration of today’s background vibrations from urban activity). Ground-to-air acoustic transmission from shallow earthquakes is a possibility for many of the booming events. It seems likely that seismic activity is not the sole cause around the world, however.

The Barisal Guns are known from the Ganges delta area in India. They sound like cannon fire. Reports exist from the 1870s when explosives and cannons were nowhere around and firearms were scarce. The booming sound is sometimes single but can be triplets. Barisol guns events were associated with rain. Potential explanations for these and other brontides included far off surf breaking, landslides on the river banks in the delta, detonation of underwater gas, explosives, military testing, mass animal sounds (some aquatic creatures make a huge racket en masse), volcanic or seismic activity, and – a particularly curious idea – the sound of compacting sediment from the delta which can actually contribute to small earthquakes.

Unique occasion of similar booming noises have been reported all along the Eastern North America coast, from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. Some particular areas around water have their own versions of these “water guns”. Here are some examples:

• Seneca guns in New York at Seneca Lake
  • “Mistpouffers” from the coasts of northern Europe to Iceland, particularly Belgium and France. Their tendency to occur on warm, calm foggy days, has earned them the translation of “fog dissipators”. A keeper of a lighthouse reported them with regularity. Their noise was said not to resemble artillery or thunder.
  • Uminari in Japan (July, 1915. Monthly Weather Review. 315) is described to be the sound of waves breaking off shore. The lines of waves can produce a cannonading sound audible some ways inland.
  • “Lake Roar” from several Alpine lakes possibly related to the karst caverns.

Land guns are also reported. As mentioned, these are sometimes correlated with tiny earthquakes, sometimes not. Examples of these land booms:

• Moodus Noises of Connecticut (generally agreed to be seismic-related)
  • “Brontidi” on the Italian peninsula
  • Hanley’s guns in Victoria, Australia
  • Booms reported by Bedouins in the Egyptian desert
  • “Gouffre” reported in Haiti (a seismically active area).

In today’s society, it difficult to distinguish natural sounds from man made ones. We regularly experience sonic booms, blasting, military artillery testing, fireworks, rifle reports, and sound from heavy industrial machinery. One-time events may be seismic related, even in areas not considered to be earthquake-prone,  but we can’t discount a rare atmospheric electrical phenomena (from clear sky, sometimes with a flash) or unseen meteor explosions in the atmosphere.

Music in the air

Occasions, more musical tones are reported to waft through the sky. The best known of these is the Yellowstone whispers.

Early explorers to the Shoshone Lake area remarked upon the sounds described in various ways –  humming bees, whirring, moans, voices or a harp. The sound can get louder, fade, or may pass or wander across the sky. An observer remarked the indeterminate sound was “weird and startling… unlike anything I had ever heard before”(Corliss, p. 177). Yellowstone is an active volcanic/seismic area with natural features, such as gas discharges, that may contribute to unusual environmental conditions.

Wind can convert “properly configured rocks, plants and manmade structures into wind instruments” (Corliss, p. 183). Such natural melody-producing situations appear to be rare but several permanent features are documented.

The Black Forest in Germany and other European wooded areas produce harmonies. Rocky cliffs called “the Snorers” and a place on Mt. Maladetta (“matins of the damned”) in the Spanish Pyrenees act like organ pipes in air currents.

I found the following report to be rather humorous, being able to imagine this poor fellow’s confusion:

[1932, Angmering-on-sea, England] “The melody included runs, slow trills, turns and grace notes, and sounded so artificial that I felt bound to open the window and make sure that the tune was not being played by a human performer.”

The tune was found to be the wind blowing across the exposed pipe from the bath.

Corliss lists three incidents from the 1800’s of organ or horn-like sounds reportedly emanating from underground. These are rare and the cause is unknown.

Modern anomalous sounds

So, we can conclude from the many and various examples that natural but odd sky noises do happen. They may even be somewhat common. Observers perceive them as weird, unexpected, and unnerving, especially when sounding eerily like voices or music. Those of a particular belief system can easily assume that it must be a supernatural sound or portent. I’m not surprised that this has been a popular interpretation, considering all the talk of the world ending soon.

One type of report I did not find in the catalog was that of mechanized sounds in the sky as shown in some of the recent videos, particularly the Kiev audio (which has been copied repeatedly and dubbed over video from other locations). They sound too industrial to be natural. What could be an explanation?

Corliss’ catalog provided an intriguing clue. I preface this by saying I know little of acoustics but the premise seems plausible: musical echoes.

The catalog of anomalies contains a section on musical echoes noting many good observations exist. Normal sounds can be reflected as musical notes or in different pitches than the original sound. Depending upon the reflectors, sound can seemingly come from all directions. The reflectors tend to return high frequency tones including harmonics and can pulsate due to the topography of the reflector. Mountainous areas or woods can produce echoes, normal or distorted. Building can do the same. Even the vinyl siding so prevalent in American suburbia housing construction produces echoes in the neighborhood that confuse the observer. Perhaps even our bridges and tunnels can funnel the wind, distort sound, and create unusual tones.

Ignoring the fakes and assuming that some genuine sounds were heard, I suspect, in the age of bustling urban environments, we could be hearing the anomalous echo of a normal sound, changed and distorted by the city landscape. If the Kiev sound is real, could it have been produced by wind interacting with the artificial topography? Or, could it have been a warped echo of industrial sound from a distance? This would be anomalous. Conditions may be just right to make the event non-reproducible under controlled circumstances. We may not be able to determine the answer.

Even so, this explanation is more plausible than the idea that End Times are upon us and that the angels are heralding our imminent destruction. It will take far more than some uploaded video to convince me of that explanation.

1. I do not recommend going to this site, it is full of people who don’t really want to be reasonable about this.
————-

NOTICE: This article is copyrighted. You may not reproduce it on another site, except in summary or in part with attribution, without permission from Sharon Hill

33 comments for “Sounds from the sky: Reflections on historical observations and recent events

1. nicky sarkozy
    January 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

welll…that wasn’t really an explanation, especially considering these sounds are popping up all over the place recently, and urban environments are far from recent. Perhaps some of the videos are indeed copycat hoaxes but that doesn’t explain how people I know have personally heard the same sound in TN, SK and here in Montreal. Overall this is a C- essay/explanation.

2. G
    January 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I heard the sounds too in Romania, it sounded like an air jet in the sky, really noisy one, but it seems the sound had the same intensity and disappeared all of a sudden, plus that I saw nothing on the sky and I was in an opened area. If it was something like a plane, the sound couldn’t disappear that fast. The next day I saw the news that said the same sounds have been heard all over the world, and that made me search for more opinions, but of course we can’t know exactly what made this happen.

3. Patrícia
    January 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I am a skeptical and irreligious person, I do not believe in conspiracy theories like The End of The World.
    I am from Brazil and I heard a misterious sound last sunday. I searched on YouTube and what I heard was the exact same sound that other people heard in other countries. I really want to know what this is because it was very loud and felt like “something” was coming closer and closer.

4. January 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I recently published what I believe the explanation is, good vial marketing. One tell-tale sign is the gross lack of media coverage. The sounds are too astonishging and widespread to NOT be recorded locally by at least one person and given to a media outlet (they of course, normally verify these…which is the problem for viral marketers).
    The website strangesoundsfromthesky, mentioned above, I believe is ran by someone who promoting the videos. All private registration, etc.
    This guy – http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/oixhc/what_the_hell_are_these_noises…/c3hp69w
    has actually CSI’d the videos sound, and found they are over-laied and, when sped up, found to be normal sounds – normal animals, and even a cymbal crash (just slowed waaay down).
    So, there ya go. Apocalypse…or J.J. Abrams promoting Cloverfield II ? My bet is on the latter.

• Sebasian
      January 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I would love to read your published article/ work. Where might I find it?

Also, trying to find GroovyTrouserEmporer ‘s (from the link you provided) CSI’d sound. Has he not posted it? Or am I just not finding it?

Thanks.

5. Sebasian
    January 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

While I applaude your articulate piece, I must comment that it is somewhat of a surface scratcher. Your later hypothesis, even if correct, does not explain away the phenom. While there is most definitely newer technology in building material and mechanics, you cannot conclude with a “therefore” on anomalous sounds because of modern design. [i.e. Would this have not have happened previously to these newer materials?] Trust me: I am as skeptical as the next. However, I would LOVE to read more and have more dialog once you have dug a little deeper on the subject.

• idoubtit
      January 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I didn’t propose to “explain away” the phenomena. I’m offering a possible explanation based on empirical evidence. And I didn’t conclude anything either. Also, I am not experienced in environmental acoustics (I am a geologist), so I won’t be doing any deeper digging. Take it or leave it.

The point of the piece is that there are options supported by science that I have not seen considered elsewhere. In contrast to the unsupported speculation going on, my piece is downright boring.

• Sebasian
        January 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM

On the contrary: your piece is refreshing, considering what else one can find “out there” on the subject.
        And I agree; there ARE options supported by science. I just like that there is clever dialog happening, opposed to most of the religious or shill-y or conspirator-y rhetoric that one inevitably must sift thru to find – well – this article (CIP).
        I’m just interested, is all. I have found a thread that intrigued me here:
        While I’ve encountered this site before and I have been less that interested, I have enjoyed some of the scientific (M.I.T.) links which I have found in the threads.
        Cheers.

• January 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Keep in mind Sebasian, when you refer to “explain away the phenomenon”, there actually have been NO credible reports to any local law enforcement, media, etc., in any if these geographical areas, and people that live in and around the areas (other than the perported “uploader / vidographer” of the captured “evidence”) have stated they heard nothing and experienced zip at the time / date the videos were reported to have been captured.
      In other words, so far, there IS no phenomenon occurring that anyone has experienced other than these very few videographers. Until someone other than these suspect few actually report something…anything…I would say there is nothing occurring.

• Sebasian
        January 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Touche.
        You are correct.
        My bad.
        I’m curious as to who or what [organizations] you would want to hear reports from. I ask because I really want to know. I’m really not versed on any of this. As I said to the author, I’m just interested. Especially if this happens to turn out to be “something”.
        If educated people like y’all are responding to this, even to debunk, it has peaked your interest in some way, no?
        Thanks, Kent.

6. Brycemeister
    January 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Not included in your piece, and it should be, was an audio engineer’s takedown of this – it’s a very good, very informative piece, which includes a deconstruction of the sound itself (obvious clues like electronically produced sounds, and the hertz range of the sound itself being something that would have to be introduced after the video was filmed). I say this as a non-skeptic, who suspects there exists some very odd ‘stuff’ out there, but who is very discerning. Or maybe a classic skeptic. Can’t recall the site, sorry!

• Miguel
      January 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This is an English language site. Try http://translate.google.com/ if you have something to add.

• Stacy
        February 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Not nice. If you should like to read what that says, copy and paste into your Google translator.

• Stacy
          February 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It’s Greek, a beautiful language. Simply stating “Phenomenon is certainly not unique. As explained Sharon Hill, incidents accompanying humanity” :)

• Joanie
      February 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Arthur C. Clarke said:

“Unlike Fort (Charles Fort), Corliss selected his material almost exclusively from scientific journals like Nature and Science, not newspapers, so it has already been subjected to a filtering process which would have removed most hoaxes and reports from obvious cranks. Nevertheless, there is much that is quite baffling in some of these reports from highly reputable sources”. Unsung?

7. Corvin
    January 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The one thing I noticed is that other than the footage of the forest workers, most of the footage is shot by a single individual with no other people around. The second things I notice in relation to that is footage shot in populated areas are severely lacking other curious people looking skyward. In the final bit of footage, the camera clearly shows someone walking on the street below and doesn’t stop once to glance around, and just keeps going. Now, you would think that if these noises were that immense it would draw quite a crowd. The footage of the Canadian forest workers could have easily been staged, and as it is it seems staged rather poorly as the “workers” just kind of stand there looking around a bit and don’t really seem to concerned. Most normal people (and I use that term loosely) would have had a stronger reaction. There was no language in ANY of the videos that expressed alarm. In every piece of footage not one person uttered so much as a WTF! Also, in more than one video you can clearly hear noise in the background, indicating the presence of other people yet none of the camera operators bothered to alert anyone else to come and have a listen. As someone who uses sound equipment for a living, you might be surprised how easy it is to manipulate sound to produce some incredible “live” sound effects with very little equipment, although I am inclined to think that most of the noise was added in post because of the lack of other curious onlookers who would have surely heard them. Perhaps for some of the rural settings they used sound equipment to get a “live” feel, but the rest of it really seems faked. I call hoax, and I would have to agree it’s probably some viral marketing scheme.

• Anne
      January 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Agreed.
      I do so love the videos where they’re recording *before* any sound is heard. I also take note that in those where there are animals present, not a single one reacts. The birds continue their chirping, dogs don’t whine or bark, etc. We’re well aware animal senses are far more keen than a human’s is.

Seriously, if this is going on “all over the world”, how have only a few dozen youtubers noticed?

Ultimately there’s a total lack of…everything. Local authorities haven’t been bombarded with people reporting the incidents, as would happen if a large group had heard it at the same time. Little media coverage – and those who have covered it haven’t actually *recorded* these sounds, they just interview the (usually singular) ‘witness’. I also tend to not place any trust in videos that have a title that begins with “OMG!”, or “Holy sh*t!”. Just loses credibility with me for some reason…

The Canadian forest video as well as another one in Canada (can’t recall which one) are already admitted hoaxes.
      The vast majority of the others from last week have been ripped apart by sound engineers and other tech savvy people and proven fake as well.

8. January 22, 2012 at 4:20 AM

I am quite skeptical of many of the *explanations* given for these phenomena, but not necessarily for their *existence.* I have personally experienced a “sky roar,” and it was unlike any weather phenomena I’m aware of, but it surely has a logical explanation.

9. Tant
    January 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

While reading through the article there was mention of “Lake roar”: ““Lake Roar” from several Alpine lakes possibly related to the karst caverns.”

I’m hoping to get more information on this phenomenon. A acquaintance had recounted something similar living in Thunderbay, Ontario and am curious as to if it could possibly be related. This was some years ago and second-hand information on my part but would like to get more references to research before bringing it to her attention. Casual googling hasn’t brought up any definitive sources as of yet.

10. Don from Australia
    February 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I live in Wollongong, Australia, my family and I have heard boom like noises for the last few months, we have asked a few neighbours and they too have heard them.

The sounds are similar to those of a truck or something similar going over a speed bump, or perhaps they are more like a machine … very hard to explain but I am positive they come from underground although others say they are sky bound … who knows … but they are in no way frightening…, just “triple booms”

boom, boom, boom, for a few minutes then silence for a few more then more boom boom boom and on and on, all night long.

I’ve looked everywhere for their source and cannot find anything that sounds remotely like it. I’ve gone to the local mine, the railway tracks, etc, talked to lots of people … few have heard it.

The noise is actually there all the time, easy to hear it at night though, but city sounds drown it in the day time.

I’ve tried recording them but they sound very far away and my microphone picked up nothing at all.

Then the rains came, they haven’t stopped for some two months now so I can’t hear a thing at the moment except rain drops on my gutters :-(

I’ve bookmarked your page, hope to keep you updated.

No, no joke!

11. Jewels80
    February 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I heard the sounds myself on February 14th between 3:30-4:30 a.m. in Calgary, Alberta. I had not heard of these sounds in the sky before that morning.
    I work night shifts mostly, and often stay up late when I’m on my days off and had fallen asleep to a movie. Upon shutting the movie off, I heard this loud almost “mechanical” wail that seemed like it was right above my apartment. They came in approx. minute intervals. I looked out my window to see what might be causing these noises, and noticed no other apartments behind me had lights on, nor were there people outside. It shocked me as the sounds were SO loud. I thought maybe only I could hear it, or it was something in my apartment, so I locked myself in my room and listened for another before falling asleep around 4:30 a.m. I was researching it as I was listening as well, and came across the solar flare storm – thinking maybe it had something to do with that. The next day, I was on Facebook and realized someone else in Calgary had heard them too. I had more people come to me upon posting a status update about the sounds.
    I must say it was pretty unnerving! I still have not found a theory that appeases me. All of the youtube videos I have listened to sound exactly the same (especially the videos from Banff AB, Oregon and Nova Scotia – EXACTLY the same sound)

12. February 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Hi, I just had to join this discussion because I have a theory that I’m surprised no one has even thought to mention. In the 1st place, I’m an ordinary “Home Management Engineer”-(A.K.A. Housewife/Mom)-I hold no degrees in Science/Religion/Astrology or any other related fields that are coming up to explain this “Strange Event” that seems to be causing so much concern, but Don’t disregard me just for that. History has proven time and time again-”Mother is often Right”…!Lol Have any of you heard about ANOTHER World Wide Global Event that has been “Exploding” since just before Christmas…coincidently also…just before the arrival of our Epic 2012…? No…? It’s called “SKYLANDERS” (Google it…) and it has been sweeping all Nations and causing quite the stir on Ebay and all over the World. Now, my question is, is it just a coincidence that “They” (“SKYLANDERS”)just so happened to be at a Toy Fair in New York City, from Feb 12-Feb 15, unveiling for the 1st time, the “ARRIVAL” of their Newest Discovery” called “Giants”…? Hmmmmmm…Food for thought…Stranger things have happened…and wouldn’t it be just the perfect fit to that “Viral Marketing” theory…? As it just so happens, I knew NOTHING about this whole controversy until my 28yr old son, who lives up in MAINE (of all places, lol)Text me on Feb 18th, while I was taking a nap. He was obviously VERY disturbed about this “Have you heard the news…? It’s all over the Web, about Strange Sounds Heard around the World…Google it…!). My poor kid…! My reaction…? And I Quote…”ahh-ok-after my nap-and they better keep the noise down til then-lol-Ttys”…! Lol If you are a Typical Parent, with a Typical Lifestyle…I’m sure you can relate…!So, here I am, my 1st, and probably ONLY attempt to follow thru at his Bequest…3 days later…and I STILL haven’t had time to “Ttys” him…!Again, As I said, “My Poor Kid…!” By now he must be convinced, “Oh Great…! The “End of Days” could be on us, here I am worrying about warning my closet Loved Ones, and all she can think about is TAKING A NAP…?!” ahh-YUP! Here’s my thought, I think…lol…If 2012 brings our end, we WON’T be able to stop it, so living life in fear until then…only takes the quality of life away from us…and although I would give ANYTHING to have ALL my loved ones in my arms when that moment happens, I doubt there will time to gather them. So, mean while, “Wake me in an hour…!” If I can be of ANY HELP…I’m gonna NEED IT…! Lol

13. February 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Oooops….! Typo-Correction…! That’s “Closest” Loved Ones…! Whosoever wishes to be in a closet at that critical moment, is perfectly entitled to do so, and I’m a firm believer in respecting the rigts of others. And for all I know, MANY of us might be tempted to join them…! See what happens when you don’t get enough sleep…! Lol

14. February 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Lisa,

Please read this: http://www.heliwave.com

No end of world but the ARRIVAL as you say :)

God knows all.

• February 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wow. That’s not going to fly here.

15. Buya
    February 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I listened to and watched the video of the Kiev noise. The people walking around did not seem to be aware of the noise. I thought it sounded like noise from a busy highway. I live about a 1/4 mile from a highway and when the wind is right, you can hear the traffic noise. The big truck noises can sound very strange. Traffic noise plus wind can equal strange sky noise.

16. Kim
    March 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Well, I am a bit dismayed at the comments of the strange noises not being heard by anyone but the uploader. I live about a hr plus from Clintonville, WI AND it is always top story on our local news. It is REAL! And from what I have heard, it is VERY similar to those other ones out there. I am sure there are fakes, but also many real accounts!

• March 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

In most cases, they were not heard by anyone else! That’s what makes them suspicious. It also makes the Wisconsin noises NOT related to these sounds from the sky from January as some people have tried to do. Don’t group what ISN’T the same and try to paste one explanation on totally different things. The world is more complicated than that.

As I mentioned, there are MANY historical accounts of noises. They were real and they were not related to some paranormal thing. They were likely natural or could have been explained with additional information. We can not go by hearsay (“from what I have heard…”). Not much good ever comes of that. I’m pleased to see people out there trying to capture and measure them in Wisconsin. If sky noises are genuine, this is exactly the situation we would expect. And, I expect they will come up with a decent explanation.

Most of the stuff from January of this year was hoaxed silliness. But there was a grain of truth there. It’s just not as exciting as END OF THE WORLD!!!

17. eddie
    March 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

i live in tijuana bc mexico, and like 15 years ago we could hear those booming sounds in foggy days also. When i first saw the videos and heard the sound from the sky, it reminded me of the movie “War of the Worlds” i saw the movie again and it was exactly the same sound as the one that was being reported on news on uploaded to youtube. like it say on the top of this article, some one posted a video on how to easily do this sounds. it has happened before through the years, i really do not think this is something new, is just that 5 to 7 years ago it was not so common that everybody would have a recording device on them or the knowledge to reproduce and edit a video. I, personally, believe the things that i see or heard by my own. like the white light with out bright during the night, or the sound of something like an airplane, that approach to my room in spins that went from slower to faster, and as it got nearer, it make the house next to mine tremble. the sound went a way from faster to slower as i panic and close the windows. the sound was like a strong zoom, but not from anything that i know. explain that :D.