Bigfoot hunt: Need $300, some Zagnut bars and belief

Shaffer: N.C. man stays on trail of Bigfoot – Shaffer – NewsObserver.com.

“It’s a weird hobby,” said Greene, now 70 and retired.

Next month, Greene will lead a four-day Bigfoot hunt through the woods south of Uwharrie National Forest – a $300 trek that is already sold out.

They’ll bang on trees with baseball bats, hoping nature’s bashful giant will prick up an ear.

They’ll leave Zagnut bars at their campsites, recorders whirring nearby.

And they’ll persist in the search for a furry caveman at large for decades, hoping to briefly glimpse his primitive hide.

Credit: @ParanormalRptr (Alejandro Rojas) on Twitter

Wow! $300 a pop for a camping trip. Once again, if you go into the woods with a belief (that your guide is reinforcing) that every noise and event is caused by Bigfoot, you may very well come away satisfied that you had an encounter. But, trips like these don’t move us anywhere towards showing that there really is an unknown animal out there.

7 comments for “Bigfoot hunt: Need $300, some Zagnut bars and belief

1. October 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I believe the psychology of group Bigfoot expeditions is analogous to mass gatherings at religious shrines. The emotionally charged belief in things unseen coupled with group reinforcement is often sufficient to provoke subjective experiences.

• idoubtit
      October 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Sounds very plausible.

2. October 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Everyone knows Bigfoot prefers a nice Twix to a Zagnut.

• idoubtit
      October 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I know I do!

3. Massachusetts
    October 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Greene appeared on an episode of Animal Planet’s “Finding Bigfoot.” He had taken thermal video which he believed was a Bigfoot grabbing a Zagnut Bar that he had left out on a stump (that’s the origin of the Zagnut fixation). The show reproduced the footage using one of their people, fully human but a tall man, and they put the two clips side by side. They were strikingly similar. Unfortunately, most of the members of the show’s team decided his footage was authentic Sasquatch footage, but was probably a juvenile, since it appeared to be about the size of the man in the reproduced footage.

This was frustrating and disappointing to say the least. It seemed to me that they had, if anything, discredited the footage, but they simply ignored their own experiment when it didn’t agree with their preconceived notions. They kept saying that Greene was so respected and honorable that he wouldn’t have cheated, and it was highly unlikely a human would be around to spoof him in this manner.

The only holdout was Renae, the field biologist who is part of the show (and the only trained scientist, I believe, who is skeptical of Bigfoot accounts) who pointed out that since they reproduced the footage almost exactly, it was likely the original critter was of the human variety. Though this seemed very logical to me it was dismissed by the others.

I’m not saying Bigfoot doesn’t exist. I’m willing to consider evidence if someone has some that’s credible. But if alleged experts are evaluating evidence the way they evaluated this footage, that doesn’t bode well for the Bigfoot camp.

By the way, I never had a Zagnut bar before, but after they show I tried one: OK, but I prefer something with more chocolate.

4. October 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I witnessed along with two FBI Agents a Bigfoot creature here in Virginia from 75 feet away while metal detecting in Culpeper Virginia so I know for a fact the Bigfoot creatures exist. I have been conducting research since the 1995 sighting and recently redirected my focus to new techniques never before used in this research.

With that said, I contacted Mr. Greene two years ago in an attempt to get a copy of the full two hour video his camera system was supposed to have recorded while he was away from the camera. After my several attempts to obtain a copy he said he would not release the video and to this day he hasn’t. I am a Certified FLIR Thermographer and was immediately skeptical of his video because there are things I noticed that other people wouldn’t. I’ll get to my point, it’s my opinion that Mr. Greene set up his thermal camera to film himself acting like a Bigfoot creature. He has contradicted himself many times on internet radio stations and the press further boosting my claims. The Finding Bigfoot show demonstrated that the person they filmed during the recreation looked exactly like the subject that Mr.Greene filmed, EXACTLY! Mr. Greene has been selling the video on his website for two years to unsuspecting people. Why won’t he release his full two hour video, it’s because it doesn’t exist! I think he has only the video he shot of himself, maybe a half hour or so. I have been posting my thoughts on numerous forums but Mr. Greene seems to rise to the surface through the press once and a while. His new 300.00 a head expedition must mean he needs some Christmas cash! Mr. Greene is right up there with Moneymaker, Biscardi and the Georgia boys now, he must be proud of his accomplishment. I know the Bigfoot creatures exist, but they don’t go hunting for candy bars. It would be great if someone from your group can go investigate Mr. Greenes claims?

5. Don Simon
    November 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Does anyone have info as to exactly where he will be leading the expidition? More that the Uwharrie National Forest. Coordinates or campground?